(951) 667-5293

Orange County:

(714) 758-5293

who you hire can make all the difference

Mr. Donath has spent his entire career defending people and standing up for the rights of the accused.

request a free consultation
  • former deputy public defender

    As a former Deputy Public Defender in Riverside County, Mr. Donath has always been on the defense side of the law. 

  • award winning certified criminal law specialist

    Top 100 Trial Attorneys in California 2012-2014, 2008 Trial Attorney of the Year by the Riverside County Public Defender's Office, and dozens of other awards and accolades.

  • a true passion for defending the accused

    Your lawyer should have a passion for defense, not just a passion for money. Reputation, vigor, and determination go a long way in this business.

Request Consultation

request a free confidential consultation

*all fields are required
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

How Do I Get A Felony Drug Possession Conviction In Los Angeles Changed Under Prop 47 or Penal Code 1170.18?

Posted in Proposition 47 FAQ'S on November 6, 2014

Can you actually get your sentence changed or charge reduced to a misdemeanor?

The new changes under Prop 47 allow those convicted of certain drug possession charges to request reduction of their charges and sentence by petitioning the court.

If you have been convicted of the following offenses AND are still serving a sentence (includes being on probation, serving a prison term, etc), then you may file the petition under Penal Code Section 1170.18.

Possession of a Controlled Substance – Health and Safety Code 11350
Possession of a Controlled Substance – Health and Safety Code 11377
Possession of Concentrated Cannabis – Health and Safety Code 11357

The reduction is NOT mandatory, and a Judge has the choice whether or not to grant the reduction from a Felony to a Misdemeanor and/or a reduction in sentence based on a number of factors.

Such factors include, but are not limited to, prior criminal history, prison disciplinary record, and whether the court believes release would pose an unreasonable risk of danger to public safety.

These petitions are somewhat complex, but do offer the opportunity for someone serving prison sentences to end their terms immediately, or for those simply wanting to reduce the impact of a Felony conviction on their lives immediately.

If you or a loved one are currently serving a sentence for any of the listed drug possession offenses and are interested in pursuing resentencing under the new Proposition 47, please contact me at (951) 667-5293 to discuss your situation – the call is FREE.